The Institute of Islamic Studies and Modern Oriental Philology at the University of Bern looks back on an eventful history that began in 1857 with the Austrian orientalist Aloys Sprenger as its first professor. Today, three professors and several academic assistants supervise nearly 200 students. Intensive counselling and assistance to students of all levels and continuous quality assessment in education and research are the pillars of our institute.
The Institute is located in the lively university quarter of Bern in the main building of the Faculty of Humanities, "Unitobler", at Lerchenweg 36. It maintains a well-resourced Islamic studies library with approximately 20,000 books and 290 journals including a large stock of primary sources in Arabic, Persian, Turkish and Uzbek.